Saturday, February 9, 2008

School Starts, and some other stuff. =)

I've been bugged to put up an entry, haha, so here it is. By the way people, my room's Internet connection has been really bad, so if you see me online then I suddenly disappear, or if you hardly see me at all, understand understood lah ah.

First week of school was ok, though the subjects are a bit heavy. You see, in UvA (Universiteit Van Amsterdam), for my faculty at least, each semester comprises of 2 blocks, each block of 7 school weeks. You take different modules for each block. So basically, what we learn in NUS for 13 weeks they try to do it in 7. Haha. Oh well. I guess I have to study much harder than I did in NUS.

I met a Malaysian guy (thank God!) at school, who's doing 1 module with me. He's a masters student here. I never imagined I would actually speak Malay to anyone in Amsterdam, but hey, I sure am not complaining.=) Been hanging out with him, a couple of times noow, and will continue to do so. Safe to say, he'll be my best friend for the next 5 months.

And oh, just wanted to mention about the friday prayers here. The guys would relate better to this. Here, the sermon/khutbah is very different. Haha. The imam is very fiery, spirited; I assure you, nobody, I mean nobody, sleeps during the khutbah. I think imams in Singapore should be more lke this; but you can't really blame them too when the khutbahs are about "masyarakat majmuk" every other week. Haha.

And here, there is no problem of getting people to 'rapatkan saf'. It's shoulder to shoulder, feet to feet, something that sadly, I hardly encounter in Singapore. Another good practice here is that for the sloat jenazah after the friday prayers, no one leaves the mosque, everybody participates in the solat jenazah. The safs for the solat jenazah are also in order, people do not move in front to cover the spaces that are used for rukuk and sujud in our normal prayers. Acttually, I'm not sure why we do that in Singapore, it only leads to distorted safs. Perhaps Rizhan would like to enlighten us whether that's just a cultural practice or it really has Islamic roots.

But what I am most impressed by in the mosques here, is that everytime The Prophet's name is mentioned, during or outside of the khutbah, the whole mosque will go 'sallallahu alaihi wasalam'. It really is a good practice, which we all should try to incorporate in our conversations.

Anyway I've gotten a bicycle, which makes life much easier. Now I'm on the way to feeling like I'm an Amsterdammer. Haha.

Just a note, thanks to Mas'uud and Shaza; you know for what. It is impossible that Allah will not repay kindness with kindness, so just await for some (more) good things in your lives.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

malaysia boleh!! Alhamdulillah kau dh jumpa bestfriend baru. Jgn kau bwk die gi coffeeshop sua..

Walid said...

Haha...Insya Allah tak, jangan takut. Tapi red light.....Hahahahahhahahaha.

Anonymous said...

Well, eye-opener rite! In a place popular for red-lite district, solat Jumaat is properly done. The true Muslims there are really to be respected! Tt's why we should travel more often to appreciate the beauty of Islam.......hey it's one of the fastest growing religion in the world not for nothing you know! Hehe, another good reason to go travelling at least twice a year huh ;-)

shaza said...

Yup yup! I agree! How about Germany next year? ;)

Walid said...

Wah, geminigal is always looking for excuses to travel. Haha. But i agree with you Kak. Anw srz, you hafta ask my sis about Germany. Haha. I'm just a free-rider. Hopefully she'll say yes!=)

Anonymous said...

Germany? Sounds good........hmm....but if go Germany then must plan few other places...if not the trip is wasted. One at a time yeah, still got to materialise my AMS trip. Hehe........if nxt yr double income then InsyaAllah can go Germany. Actually on the list next year is Egypt ;-)

Anonymous said...

eh I thot Canada was also part of the plan? hahhaha

Walid said...

Canada? Hmm...That's thos year rite ji...I don't think I'll have enough time to save up. Sorry ah ji...Unless Gad nak forego S.Africa trip die and belanja aku to teman die to Canada ah. Kau bebualkan. Haha.

eusof said...

Hey Wal...

Just dropping by to say thank you for sharing your experience.

It is interesting to note the cultural difference in amsterdam.

I am quite amazed that a country that we thought would be 'wild' is indeed one with a pious cultural practice.

Hope singaporeans would be like that or even better.

Do keep the sharing sessions going ya.

Take care. and jaga iman baik-baik.

Anonymous said...

Hmm.......so many places to go & so few leave I have! How? Wait lah guys, till I become my own director.....ehem.....director of household! Then we can tour Europe fully =)For the time being, u guys gotta find me 'org kaya yg beriman'.......hmmm........how abt asia's youngest billionaire? lol

eusof said...

Response to geminigal:

Asia's Youngest Billionaire is single and available.

Just add him on msn: fo_sue@hotmail.com

Hopefully things will work out.

Hehehe.

Sorry waL to intrude ur personal space for my personal needs. hehehe. =)

Anonymous said...

Yo Billionaire! Have added you! Any chance you can sponsor my trip to AMS & Paris in June? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassse

Sorry bro! Used your blog to find my sponsor ;-) Well as my saying goes 'There is an opportunity in every blog' -> wateva that means! lol

Rizhan said...

Sorie Walid for this very late reply…..I was quite busy here in Madinah and was not feeling well for quite some time….Regarding the question about how we should actually organize our saf(rows) during the funeral prayer..A few days ago, I actually went to one of the scholars house here in madinah and I asked him that question..He said that there’s actually no problem if we want to organize our rows as how we did it in the mosques in Singapore…and it is also right if we want to organize our rows as how is being performed in Amsterdam.
If people were to know the big reward of performing the funeral prayer, I guess they will try not to miss even a single funeral prayer. The reward of performing a single funeral prayer is as huge as the Mountain of Uhud in Madinah. That’s really big.
Last but not least…don’t go to the red light areas ya!