Saturday, February 23, 2008

Isyak-2322, Subuh-0400.

PEOPLE at the city centre (This is for someone!)

At the mosque after friday prayers

My favourite makan place in Amsterdam: I come here at least twice a week.

A sight you only get in Amsterdam

The bus-stop near my place

My best friend here: Fadhil.


At the mosque, I saw the prayer timings for August 2006 (summer time) and it read as in this entry's title. Hmm...It will definitely be around there or thereabouts this summer too, so I'm thinking of ways to get around this problem. Anybody with any input please, your suggestions are warmly welcomed!

Just a few updates. My bicycle is currently unavailable. You see, I have two locks, 1 for the tyres and the other is the normal one. Usually, I do not lock the one at the tyres, and i just leave the key there. Few days ago, I found that my key wasn't there, and the lock was secured. Haha. Case of sabotage. Now, to get a new key, I need to make a police report first and show the report as proof. Ridiculous bureaucracies.

One of my classes, Institutional Economics, I really love. You see, the lecturer is a controversial character. He challenges old economic thought, and says that he is not an armchair economist who formulates theories; he prefers to go on the ground and work on empirical evidence (he used to work in Eastern Europe, studying the transition of centrally-planned to capitalist economies after the fall of communism by the way). What I really love is, the students in the class always challenges his opinions, in particular this British guy and another French dude, to the point whereby they border on being confrontational. What I love even more, is that the lecturer encourages such challenges, as he says it makes him sharper in thought. Now, I'm not a big fan of the West and their values and ideals, but if there's 1 thing we(especially the Muslim world) can learn from them is this: the freedom of discussion, and the ability to respect differences in opinion.

Other than that, the weather has been unpredictable. Maybe global warming is really taking place. It was terrible in particular today; the winds were so strong that at times it's difficult to walk even- and I'm not exaggerating.

Here are some pictures. Hopefully you'll enjoy them. Cheers.

4 comments:

shaza said...

Wah! You really did put in some effort into these set of pics huh? You changed the poses! I meant, effort for the poses only la... Coz Fadhil took the pics, right? ;) hahah! I like the restaurant one and the busstop one.. Sooo cute! ;) hahah! Anyway, I like your first pic (the PEOPLE)... Thank you...

Good job! You're improving! ;) Keep it up k! hehe!

Walid said...

Wah, thanks. Eh please eh, I'm the one who got the angles firts, then i just ask fadhil to snap only! Haha. Anyway, thanks. I think I should get better. Haha.

shaza said...

hahhaha! Ohk.... We'll see the next set of pics... :P

Walid said...

Haha,yes, we'll see. =)